How Should You Prepare for Your Scan?
There are a couple of things to remember before your scan.
- Do NOT eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your PET scan.
- This includes chewing gum, breath mints, candies etc
- You may drink plain water. We encourage you to hydrate with water. No flavored waters.
- What does 6 hours prior look like?
- If your scan is at 8:00 am, do not eat anything after 2:00 am.
- If your scan is at 12:00 pm, do not eat anything after 6:00 am.
- If you choose to eat before your scan, please be finished eating and drinking (except plain water) before the 6 hour mark.
- If you are diabetic, please call our office at 405-272-5090 before your appointment for instructions. All other prescribed medications can be taken with plain water.
- If you will need pain medication or medication for claustrophobia while you are at PET Imaging, please bring the medication with you.
- Please do not participate in any strenuous exercise for 24 hours before your appointment.
- The scan room can be cold. Wear comfortable clothing and dress warm. If you wear clothing with metal fasteners or zippers, you may be asked to change into a patient gown.
- Please, inform your doctor or the technologist if you may be pregnant or are a nursing mother. Please do not bring small children to the appointment.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule, please notify us by 3:00 PM on the day before your exam to avoid a cancellation fee. The medication for your scan is ordered the day before your scan.